Skip to main content

If you apply to adjust status based on a marriage to a US Citizen of Lawful Permanent Resident and your marriage was celebrated less than two (2) years ago, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will issue a Green Card valid for two years as a condition to assess that the marriage was entered into in good faith (Bona fide Marriage).


At the end of the two years, you will need to apply for a removal of conditions on your green card, by filing form I-751. This application is not a renewal of expired green card, rather an application to request USCIS to remove the conditions on the Green Card as the marriage was a Bona Fide Marriage.


If you are filing form I-751 with your US Citizen Spouse or Lawful Permanent Resident, you should provide the following evidence:

  • Copies of the front and back of your Permanent Resident Card;
  • Copies of the front and back of the Permanent Resident Cards of any conditional permanent resident children you are including in your petition (if applicable);
  • Evidence of the relationship:
    • Submit copies of documents indicating that the marriage upon which you were granted status was entered in good faith and was not for the purpose of circumventing immigration laws. Submit copies of as many documents as you can to establish this fact, to demonstrate the circumstances of the relationship from the date of the marriage to the present date;
  • Dispositions on criminal charges, arrests, or convictions (if applicable).


You should file Form I-751 before the expiration of your two-year green card. USCIS will allow you to file up to 90 days before the actual expiration.


Upon filing, USCIS will issued a receipt that will allow to continue working and travel internationally.


This article is for general information purposes only, and should not be interpreted as legal advice.


Filing for Removal of Conditions can be a very complex process. One should always consult an immigration attorney before proceeding.


By Attorney Monique Ndaya Mutombo. Schedule a consultation today.










This website is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship

Leave a Reply